Thursday, November 1, 2012

San Damiano Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I also picked up this olive oil (San Damiano Extra Virgin Olive Oil) at Central Market on the same trip I picked up the previous review. I found this on a discount shelf. This was an interesting oil. The bottling struck me as odd. It was a clear bottle and had a cork as a top. A first from anything else I have seen. All of the bottles had a slight amount of sediment at the bottom of them. I'm not sure if the clear bottle had something to do with that. I do know that a clear bottle is not advisable for any olive oil. but knowing we would consume it fast and the fact that it was cheap I picked it up. For those who don't know, light is olive oil's worst enemy next to heat. So I am not sure why the producer chose this bottle.

Aside from the ill advised bottle and curious sediment, San Damiano Extra Virgin Olive Oil had a nice buttery taste. It had the slight burn of a good extra virgin olive oil. It was deviod of many of the hints of grass, artichoke, and other notes you get out of other olive oils from the region. By the way San Damiano is made from Taggiasaca olives and is milled in Liguria Italy. This was a nice oil if you are looking for something that is not really complex to cook with. Far from lampante but also far from the high quality stuff on the market today.

No comments:

Post a Comment